Ankylosing spondylitis. Not a common back pain condition you hear about every day, but it’s one that merits gentle, relieving treatment by an experienced chiropractor like your Augusta chiropractor at Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic. Chiropractic care for ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is helpful for many such patients, and Cox® Technic is a most gentle treatment approach Augusta ankylosing spondylitis patients value.
WHAT IS ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Ankylosing spondylitis is a chronic inflammatory rheumatic disease concerning most typically the spine and sacroiliac joints. Early treatment when AS is active may help maintain some flexibility in the spine and reduce any resulting hyperkyphosis of the cervicothoracic spine and/or rigidity of the thoracolumbar, lumbosacral and sacroiliac spine that may develop and prevent doing desired activities of daily living. There are primarily two forms: active and inactive. Active is the development phase of AS while inactive is the post-development phase of AS. Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic takes care of both types with fellow healthcare colleagues to the benefit of the AS patient.
WHAT HELPS MANAGE ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS?
Cooperation and coordination is beneficial for patients with ankylosing spondylitis. Chiropractors, rheumatologists, primary care physicians, physical therapists, etc., are all important in the management of ankylosing spondylitis. The first step is diagnosing ankylosing spondylitis. Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic is aware of the signs: back pain with more than 1 of three elements (HLA-B27 positivity, current inflammatory back pain, or x-ray/MRI evidence of sacroiliitis). 37% of ankylosing spondylitis is diagnosed by a rheumatologist while the other 63% is diagnosed by other healthcare providers like your Augusta chiropractor. (1) Rheumatologists report on the benefits of a new approach to try: nanocurcumin. It’s known that T-helper 17 cells are found at higher amounts in ankylosing spondylitis patients. Nanocurcumin is surfacing as a new way to contain the T-helper 17 cells as it is an anti-inflammatory compound shown to improve some clinical symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis. (2) Combining chiropractic manipulation and rehabilitation with care of a rheumatologist is advantageous for inactive ankylosing spondylitis patients in a new study. Cox® flexion distraction was a treatment used with ankylosing spondylitis patients that helped. Patients also were instructed to do home stretches and rehab exercises. They experienced some relief of the symptoms, decreased pain and improved ability to perform activities of daily living. (3) Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic delivers gentle, stretching Augusta chiropractic care with Cox® Technic spinal manipulation. Augusta AS patients say it feels good to their stiff spines. And a little good goes a long way!
CONTACT Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic
Listen to this PODCAST with Dr. Gabriel Monterrubio, a chiropractor practicing in Mexico, on The Back Doctors Podcast with Dr. Michael Johnson as he describes his care and pain alleviating success for several ankylosing spondylitis patients - including a diver who keeps diving today – using Cox® Technic and exercise in the treatment plan.
Schedule a Augusta chiropractic appointment at Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic for yourself or a loved one who has ankylosing spondylitis. Uncommon? Yes. Unmanageable? No. Lombardy Chiropractic Clinic is ready and able to help.